It’s no secret that the floor is one of the most important parts of any room. So if you’re looking for a way to update your home, here are some tips on how to make your parquet floors look modern. Parquet floors have been around for centuries and were originally made from scraps of wood left over from furniture production. This makes them great for people who want something with an antique feel but don’t like high-maintenance finishes (like wax). And because they can be stained in almost any color, this also means that there are endless possibilities when it comes to what you can do with these hardwood floors. Read on to learn more about some simple ways to update your parquetry floors while still keeping their rustic look.
How to treat your parquet floors
Parquet floors are an attractive and classic flooring option that gives homes a little bit of personality. However, if you want to get the most out of your parquet, it’s important to maintain them properly. Follow these simple tips for modernizing your parquet floor:
Keep the floors clean with regular sweeping or vacuuming. Dirt can scratch and dull the wood over time, so removing any particulates from the surface as soon as possible is important.
Apply a coat of protective oil about once per year – this will help keep water from seeping into the pores and causing damage. If you have pets, be sure to apply oil more frequently since pet hair can also do some damage.
A guide to maintaining modern flooring
Parquet flooring is trendy and looks great, but recently it has gotten a bad reputation as outdated or not hip enough. So, if you live in a house with the old school parquet, you might be thinking of ripping them out and putting in new floors. But rather than giving up on the idea completely, why not try these tips to modernize your parquet:
- Use bigger tiles: Parquet tiles come in fixed sizes like 12″x12″. However, to achieve a more modern look, use more oversized tiles such as 18″x18″. Bigger tiles spread the wood pattern over a larger area which makes everything appear bigger and lighter. You can even use 24″24″ if you want an even more dramatic look.
- Paint the tiles: This is a great way to brighten your floors and give them a new look. Choose a light color such as white, pale pink, or beige to open up the space and make it feel brighter. You can also use darker colors for a more dramatic effect. Just make sure the paint you choose is compatible with wood not to damage the flooring.
- Install a new finish: The parquet can become quite dull and scratched up over time. To revive it, install a new finish such as polyurethane or varnish. This will protect the wood from further wear and tear and will give it a beautiful shine.
- Use a rug: Rugs are a great way to soften the look of hardwood floors and add some color and interest. Choose a rug that complements the color scheme of your room and that has a pattern or design that clashes with the tiles in your parquet flooring. This will create visual contrast and make the flooring stand out more.
- Add some furniture: Another way to add interest to your floors is by adding some furniture. A few well-placed pieces can make the space feel complete. Try choosing furniture in complementary colors or with exciting patterns that will add visual intrigue to the space.
Nowadays, there are many options to clean and maintain your parquet floors. One option is using a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to remove dirt and debris from the floor’s surface. You can also use an electric polisher that has two speeds for different types of finishes on your floors. This is recommended if you have scratches or any other damage to your flooring. The most important thing when it comes to maintaining wood floors: regular maintenance!